Whatever you’re saving for, your financial security advisor can help you realize your goals. You can help make the process go smoothly by taking steps to prepare and stay on track to achieve the results you want.
Set yourself up for success
Doing your homework is a great way to get the most out of your relationship with your advisor – but don’t worry, it’s not hard! Knowing your goals (even though they may change), your financial information and the questions you want to ask will help you have meaningful and productive meetings. So what can you do to prepare yourself?
1. Know your goals. The first step in creating a financial security plan is to understand your needs and your vision for the future. Consider your values, what’s important to you and what you’d like to achieve.
When an advisor understands your needs, concerns and future goals, they can create a financial plan tailored to you.
2. Collect important financial information and documents like tax returns, employer pension statements, life or living benefits insurance policies, and documents about any other savings or financial assets you own. This information will help evaluate your current situation and goals.
If you’re already investing, read your investment statement and write down any questions about it. It’s your responsibility to review all statements and trade confirmations in their entirety to ensure your instructions were carried out as expected.
3. Recognize there’s some level of risk associated with all investments. Make sure you understand all the risks and costs and tell your advisor how much risk you’re willing to accept. Your advisor can take you through the process of assessing how much risk you’re comfortable with.
4. The following will help you be well informed when meeting with your advisor:
- Our advice page has articles and tips about financial security planning.
- The Financial Consumer Agency of Canada’s financial literacy database has a list of important terms.
- The Ontario Securities Commission’s Get Smarter About Money website provides an overview of a wide range of financial topics.
When an advisor understands your needs, concerns and future goals, they can create a financial plan tailored to you. Having open and regular conversations will help ensure you’re on the same page as you navigate the complex world of financial security planning together.